If your WestHost Site Manager account only has website data and email addresses, then migrating your account to cPanel can be done in a few steps. Follow the steps outlined below:
Sign up for a cPanel account here.
Enter your domain in the “Use a domain you already own” field.
If you have a coupon code for your migration, enter the requested information on the payment screen.
After you have checked out and your account is processed, you will have access to CHI - the new WestHost control panel.
FileZilla is a free, open-source application for transferring files. It will allow you to download the content from your Site Manager account and upload it to your cPanel account.
Follow the steps below to download your files:
Download FileZilla from the following link: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client
Install the program on your computer.
4. You will be using the Quickconnect feature in FileZilla as soon as the program opens - this can be found at the top of the main page. Fill in the following information at the top of the screen:
5. After filling in the information, click “Quickconnect”
6. FileZilla will then display the file directory for your computer in the left window. The right window will display the files from your website. The files from your website will be located in the “/var/www/html” file.
7. Create a place on your local computer to store the data (we recommend on the desktop as this can be easily found, and is referred to in Step 2.4 later in this guide), then drag the contents of the “/var/www/html” folder to that new file location.
Your website files are now stored on your local machine, and you are nearly ready to upload them to cPanel.
This is also a great way to store a backup of your Site Manager files on your local machine in the event you need them at a later time and is highly recommended by our technical staff.
The next step is to obtain the IP address for your new cPanel hosting account. This will allow you to Quickconnect to your cPanel account via FileZilla and transfer the files you just downloaded. To obtain your cPanel IP address, follow the steps below:
Log into CHI by going to CHI.WestHost.com
Enter your username and password. You will obtain these credentials after purchasing a cPanel hosting account.
After logging into CHI, click on the Shared Hosting tab on the left hand side of your screen.
4. Click on your domain on the left side of your screen.
6. Click on the cPanel link from the menu at the top of your screen.
7. On the left side of the cPanel interface, there is a “Stats” section. Click “Expand Stats”.
8. Scroll down to the “Shared IP Address” or “Dedicated IP Address” section and note the IP address. You will need this IP address a few more times in this step, so make sure you keep it close by for reference.
Now that you know the IP Address for your cPanel account, you are ready to connect to your new account via FileZilla and upload your website files. This process is similar to step two, but you will be transferring your files from your local machine to your cPanel account.
Fill in the fields for the Quickconnect feature:
Host: Enter the IP Address obtained in Step Three.
Username: Enter your cPanel Username. This can be found in CHI under the main page of the “Shared Hosting” tab.
Password: Enter the cPanel/SSH/FTP password. This can be reset from within your CHI account.
Port: Leave this field blank.
In the left window, locate the files you previously downloaded to your local machine. Drag them to the “public_html” folder on the right hand side of your screen. FileZilla will then upload those files to the cPanel server.
Now that you have migrated your files, it’s time to test the functionality of your website. Go to the temporary cPanel website and browse around, testing the functionality. You can access this site by opening a web browser and going to http://[IPaddress]/~[cPanelusername] - inserting the IP address you found in Step Three, and your cPanel username in the appropriate locations and removing the brackets.
Migrating your email account involves two steps: creating the email accounts in CHI, and migrating your email data. The first step can be done within the CHI control panel, the second step requires an email client such as Outlook or Mac Mail.
You will need to recreate all email accounts from your old account in CHI.
For help creating these, follow the steps below or watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvc43Z9MZuE (Will insert video)
Log into your chi.westhost.com account.
Click on the “Domains” tab on the left hand side of your screen.
3. Click on the specific domain you would like to create an email address for.
4. Click the “Email” link from the menu at top of your screen.
5. Click “Add A New Email”.
Enter the email you want under “Account Name”. For example, 5. email@example.com should be entered under “Account Name”.
6. Enter the email password for that specific account, and once again to confirm.
7. Click “Save” and your email has been added.
8. Repeat this step for every email account you have attached to your website.
You must use a third party email client to back up your Site Manager email information. This guide will use Outlook 2010, Microsoft’s email manager, but you can also use Mac Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird.
In order to back up an email client using Outlook, you must first add your account to the Outlook application. For assistance with adding an account, check out this article: https://www.westhost.com/knowledgebase/display/WES/How+To+Set+Up+Site+Manage+Email+In+Outlook+2003
Click “File” to open the menu and select “Open”. From this screen select the “Import” option.
Select “Export To A File” and click “Next”.
Select “Outlook Data File (.pst)” and click “Next”.
Click the highest folder available. Make sure the “Include Subfolders” box is checked.
6. Select a destination to save the information.
7. Click “Finish”.
At this point, you can password protect the file, but it is not required. If you don’t want a password for this file, leave the fields blank and click “OK”.
Repeat this process for any other email accounts associated with your Site Manager account.
Once you are satisfied with your website’s functionality in cPanel, you can then update your DNS to point to your new account. Follow the steps below to update your DNS:
2. Choose the domain you are working with.
3. Click on the DNS link from the menu at the top of your screen.
4. Enter the following information for Name Servers in the “Hostname” field:
Nameserver 1: DNS1.WESTHOST.COM
Nameserver 2: DNS2.WESTHOST.COM
Nameserver 3: DNS3.WESTHOST.COM
Once you have configured your DNS settings, your website will be live on the cPanel Server.
After changing the DNS, you are ready to add your CHI email account to Outlook and upload the file you downloaded earlier.
Click the “File” tab to reveal the menu and then select “Open”. From this screen click “Import”.
Select “Import From Another Program Or File” and click “Next”.
Select “Outlook Data File (.pst)” and click “Next”.
Click “Browse” and select the data file you downloaded in Step Two. Make sure the button next to “Replace Duplicates With Items Imported” is selected.
Select the highest file. Make sure that “Include Subfolders” is checked. Select “Import Items Into The Same Folder In” and select the inbox for the email.
Your emails should now be imported into the mailbox you selected.
Navigate your website and send test emails to the accounts associated with your new account. If you encounter any issues, please contact our support team.