In order to set up e-mail for your account in Outlook Express 6, you will need to follow the steps below.
- Navigate to Tools >> Accounts.
- Select the Mail tab and then Add a new mail account.
- Type in your Display Name. This can be your personal name, business name, or whatever you'd like to display as the name of the e-mail account's sender. Click Next.
- Type in your e-mail address. This will be email@example.com so if you were setting up bob as a user at the domain westhost.com you would format it firstname.lastname@example.org when you typed this in. Click Next.
- Select your incoming mail server type. If you have installed Dovecot IMAP this will be IMAP, otherwise you are likely using the default POP3 mail server for your account. Type in yourdomain.com for both the incoming and the outgoing mail server address. Click Next.
- Type in your user name and password. If your account has a shared IP the user name will be email@example.com but if you have a dedicated IP address for your account it will just be user [without the @domain portion].
- You can check the "Remember Password" box so you don't have to re-type the password in every time you'd like to connect to e-mail.
- By default your account will not work if you check the SPA authentication. Leave that box unchecked unless you have specific settings in place that have enabled it. Click Next.
- This should tell you that you have successfully entered all of your settings and set up the account. Click Finish.
Before you start to use your new e-mail account, complete the following steps:
- Before you try to send mail from your account, check for new mail in your mailbox. If you try to send mail before you have checked for new mail, an error will come up when you try to send the message. This step is only necessary after you have set up your e-mail account for the first time OR if you have changed Internet connections.
- Set up your e-mail program to delete e-mail from the server after you have downloaded it to your computer. You do not want to leave the e-mail on the mail server because if you do, your e-mail box will overfill on the server and cause your mailbox to work improperly.