This article is a list of suggestions for people who are new to web hosting. For a full guide, head over to the "Beginner's Guide" section of our knowledge base.
You can purchase a 'webspace' service for your Domain which will allow you to have your own website(s), eg -You may want to purchase an e-commerce web hosting package - designed to allow you to create websites whereby you can take electronic orders and payments.
You can 'Register' and become the owner of a Domain name providing no-one else currently owns that Domain.
The number of Email Accounts and Websites you can set up will depend upon the particular product packages that you buy.
FOR ALL CUSTOMERS OF WESTHOST
PLEASE LOGIN TO YOUR WESTHOST DASHBOARD AT LEAST EVERY FEW MONTHS TO:
NOTE : Where you get someone else to set things up for you ...
If you buy a Domain name and then get someone else to set up the Email Accounts / Email Forwarders / Website for you - we strongly recommend you get them to properly explain/document the basic technical set-up for you.
Consider what will happen when that person is on holiday or otherwise unavailable.
As a mimimum you should understand ...
- How to Login to your WestHost Dashboard.
- How your POP/IMAP Email Account(s) are setup.
- How your Email Forwarder(s) are setup.
- How to login to your POP/IMAP Email Account(s) via your webmail or with a mail client like Outlook/Mac Mail.
- How to navigate around the different sections of your WestHost Dashboard.
- How many different Domains you have.
- Whether your Domains are setup to use all the usual 'WestHost default' servers and settings, so that WestHost are providing your email and/or webspace services, or whether your Domains have been set up so your email and/or webspace services are actually being provided by a different provider organisation.