Domain Registration FAQ
Welcome to the WestHost Frequently Asked Questions. Here you will find answers to the common questions asked about our services.
- When I register a domain name, who will have ownership of it?
- How long does it take before my domain name is active?
- Can I transfer a domain name registered someplace else to WestHost's domain registration service?
- Will there be any downtime in transferring my domain name registration to WestHost?
- How long does it take for DNS to update?
- Can you host domain names other than .com .net .org .biz .info and .us?
- Can I have additional domain names point to my hosting account?
- Who is ICANN?
- What is WestHost's DNS information?
- Can I access my domain address with or without the "www"?
- Are 3rd level domains available (anyname.mydomain.com)?
- Terms, Conditions and Acceptable Use Policy
1. When I register a domain name, who will have ownership of it? - Top
When you register a domain name with WestHost, you will have full ownership of your domain name. This means that you can move your domain name somewhere else or modify it however you want. You have full control over your domain name.
2. How long does it take before my domain name is active? - Top
Once your domain name has been registered (or transferred, if applicable), it usually takes about 12-24 hours to be active. All Internet providers must update their records (DNS tables) to reflect the new site's location.
3. Can I transfer a domain name registered someplace else to WestHost's domain registration service? - Top
Yes, it is possible to transfer your domain registration to WestHost. To do so you need to fill out the order form select "Transfer your Existing Domain", and enter the EPP authorization code. Once you do that we can proceed to transfer your domain name. Pricing for domain transfers and renewals varies by domain type (TLD) and may be seen on our order form.
Important Note: In order to transfer your registration to us you must submit your request to us at least 14 days before your domain name expires at its current registrar. If it's past that date you'll have to renew with the current registrar. Your domain name must be "unlocked" with the current registrar, and you will frequently need a domain transfer code or "EPP code".
4. Will there be any downtime in transferring my domain name registration to WestHost? - Top
There is no downtime associated with transferring your domain name registration to WestHost. Once the domain is transferred you may wish to change the DNS on your domain to point to our name servers. If you do change your DNS servers, this can introduce downtime of up to 24 hours.
5. How long does it take for the DNS to update? - Top
From the time you change the DNS on your domain name to point to our name servers it will take approximately 12-24 hours for the change to propagate throughout the Internet and become active. During this time your website may be down until the change has fully propagated through the Internet.
6. Can you host domain names other than .com .net .org .biz .info and .us? - Top
WestHost can host any domain name. All Preferred, Business, Cloud, Reseller, and dedicated servers support unlimited website hosting. For a list of these domains please visit our order form.
7. Can I have additional domain names point to my hosting account? - Top
Yes, you can have additional domain names point to your current account. All of our hosting plans have the ability to support multiple domains except for the Starter plan.
You will have the option to point multiple domains at the same directory (e.g. domain.com and domain.net point to the same place), or to separate directories (e.g. domain1.com to /domain1directory/, domain2.com to /domain2directory/).
8. Who is the ICANN? - Top
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is the non-profit corporation that was formed to assume responsibility for the IP address space allocation, protocol parameter assignment, domain name system management, and root server system management functions previously performed under U.S. Government contract by IANA and other entities.
9. What is WestHost's DNS information? - Top
The following is WestHost's DNS information. You can use this when registering a new domain name or modifying an existing domain name.
Primary Name Server: NS1.WESTSERVERS.NET
Primary Name Server IP: 188.8.131.52
Secondary Name Server: NS2.WESTSERVERS.NET
Secondary Name Server IP: 184.108.40.206
10. Can I access my domain address with or without the "www"? - Top
Yes, you will be able to access the domain address with or without the "www" in front of the domain name. Example: [http://www.your-name.com] or [http://your-name.com] is acceptable, whichever you prefer.
11. Are 3rd level domains available (anyname.mydomain.com)? - Top
Yes, you can use a 3rd level domain name, such as yourname.westhostsite.com, to use on a new hosting account or with an existing account. The hosting plans are the same as those posted for normal domains; the advantage to these is that no domain registration is needed. This means no domain registration fees!
12. Terms, Conditions and Acceptable Use Policy - Top