General Web Hosting FAQ
Welcome to the WestHost Frequently Asked Questions. Here you will find answers to the common questions asked about our services.
- Does WestHost have a "Control Panel" or some other utility to manage my website?
- Can I add software to my account?
- What is the difference between name-based and IP based hosting?
- How can I change my account from name-based to IP-based?
- Can I monitor my disk space and bandwidth usage?
- How much does additional bandwidth cost?
- Can I upgrade my account if I need to?
- How do I transfer files to my website?
- Will I have unlimited access to update and make changes to my pages?
- How long does it take to set up a new account?
- Can I use my account for commercial purposes?
- Can I subdivide my space and resell it?
- Can you host domain names other than .com .net .org .biz .info and .us?
- Can I have additional domain names point to my hosting account?
- What is WestHost's DNS information?
- Do you offer Internet access?
- Do you support Apache JSP or Apache Tomcat?
- Do you require "Forced Advertising" on my website?
- Do you offer Windows based hosting?
- How is billing handled?
- Do we discount for Non-Profit Organizations?
- Terms, Conditions and Acceptable Use Policy
1. Does WestHost have a "Control Panel" or some other utility to manage my website? - Top
Yes, WestHost features an enhanced user interface that is fully integrated with cPanel. Our single-sign on control panel gives you access to domain registrations, SSL certificates, and other hosting account features. Our hosting accounts feature cPanel which is the industry leading control panel and provides a rich online environment from where you can manage your web hosting.
2. Can I add software to my account? - Top
Yes. You have complete control over all aspects of your account, including the installation of software. If you install software not included in your hosting plan, we cannot guarantee its functionality and it will not be supported by our technical support staff. However, because we offer support for Perl, PHP, MySQL, and other programming languages, you have very few limitations when it comes to which software you can install. Finally, WestHost is constantly adding new and exciting software applications that can be installed automatically through the control panel at any time
3. What is the difference between name-based and IP-based hosting? - Top
Name-based hosting is when hosting sites share a single IP address, with site traffic directed by the server to the appropriate hosting account by examining 'host headers'. IP-based hosting accounts come with a unique IP address that is not shared with anyone else. At any time, for an additional $2 per month, you can convert a name-based account to an IP based account.
Some of the features that require IP based hosting are:
- Purchasing your own SSL certificate and using your own domain name for SSL access (secure socket layer).
- Anonymous FTP (file sharing) for your visitors is not possible under name-based hosting.
- Running scripts or software that requires a unique IP.
4. How can I change my account from name-based to IP-based? - Top
If your account is on a plan that is name-based and you would like it to be IP-based, you can do so by logging into your control panel at cp.westhost.com and ordering an IP address add-on for your hosting service. The charge for doing this is only $2 per month; or sign up for our Business, Cloud, Reseller, or dedicated server plan and get it for free. It is billed with the same period as the hosting service it applies to.
5. Can I monitor my disk space and bandwidth usage? - Top
Yes. You may monitor disk space and bandwidth usage from within your cPanel control panel.
6. How much does additional bandwidth cost? - Top
If you need additional bandwidth for your account you will need to upgrade to a larger plan. You can upgrade to a larger plan through your control panel at cp.westhost.com. The cost will depend upon the plan you select. You can also log into your control panel at any time to view your current bandwidth usage statistics.
7. Can I upgrade my account if I need to? - Top
Yes. You can upgrade your account at anytime. You will pay the difference between your current account and your new account. There are no extra fees involved in upgrading. You can upgrade your account by logging into your control panel.
8. How do I transfer files to my website? - Top
Files must be transferred to the Web server via File Transport Protocol (FTP) or your account's Web-based File Manager. If you need FTP, SSH, mail, or other Internet software, visit ZDNet Software Library. ZDNet Software Library is a source for the latest Internet applications with ratings and reviews to help you decide which application is best suited for your needs. An FTP tutorial is also available for beginner users who may not be familiar with FTP. We also provide a Web-based File Manager to make it even easier for you to upload your files.
9. Will I have unlimited access to update and make changes to my pages? - Top
You have unlimited access via FTP and the Web-based File Manager 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. As such, you can create and maintain your Web pages on your own computer and upload files to your website at your leisure.
10. How long does it take to set up a new account? - Top
New accounts are guaranteed to be set up within 24 hours from the time we receive your order. Once an account is set up an activation notice will be sent to you via e-mail including your account information. You can begin uploading files to your new website immediately. You will be given a temporary web address to access the site prior to the completion of either domain registration or domain transfer so you can start working with your account right away.
11. Can I use my account for commercial purposes? - Top
Yes, you can use your account to build and run your business, including e-commerce. The World Wide Web has become an efficient and cost-effective means of making information available to a wide user base, and we encourage our clients to use this flexible medium. The Business plan is the least expensive way to get everything you need to start selling online.
12. Can I subdivide my space and resell it? - Top
Yes, we do allow you to create subdirectories (http://www.yourdomain.com/something/) which you can use to offer friends or clients space as long as it's within our policy guidelines. However, if you are looking to resell space, you should look at our Reseller Hosting Plans. These plans come with the use of a control panel that allows you to control multiple accounts from one easy to use interface. These plans allow you to pass on more tools and services to your clients and friends, and keep data separated for better security.
13. Can you host domain names other than .com .net .org .biz .info and .us? - Top
WestHost can host any domain name. However, we only offer a limited assortment of domains that can be registered or transferred to us. For a list of these domains please visit our order form.
14. Can I have additional domain names point to my hosting account? - Top
You will have the option to point multiple domains at the same directory (e.g. domain.com and domain.net point to the same place), or to separate directories (e.g. domain1.com to /domain1directory/, domain2.com to /domain2directory/).
15. What is WestHost's DNS information? - Top
The following is WestHost's DNS information. You can use this when registering a new domain name or modifying an existing domain name.
Primary Name Server: NS1.WESTSERVERS.NET
Primary Name Server IP: 220.127.116.11
Secondary Name Server: NS2.WESTSERVERS.NET
Secondary Name Server IP: 18.104.22.168
16. Do you offer Internet access? - Top
No, you will need local Internet access in order to access your website and retrieve e-mail from your account.
17. Do you support Apache JSP or Apache Tomcat? - Top
No, we do not currently offer this option.
18. Do you require "Forced Advertising" on my website? - Top
No, we do not require any forced advertising on your website. Once you sign up for an account, you have complete control over content and information contained in your website. As long as you stay within our Policy and Guidelines, you can display anything you like.
19. Do you offer Windows based hosting? - Top
Not at this time. WestHost currently runs all Linux based servers. If you are interested in running windows based hosting please visit our sister company Midphase.
20. How is billing handled? - Top
Depending on the plan, you have your choice of quarterly, annually, 2-year, or 3-year billing. By default your hosting fees will automatically be deducted from your credit card each billing interval. If you do not want your credit card automatically charged each billing interval, you can choose to be billed manually. Please note there is a $3.00 processing fee added to each invoice for manual billing.
21. Do we discount for Non-Profit Organizations? - Top
WestHost will waive the set-up fee for a Non-Profit Organization for Shared Hosting and Dedicated Server orders. WestHost does not waive or discount the monthly hosting fee. We will need to get a copy of your 501(c)(3) Non-Profit status confirmation letter from the IRS. You can fax us a copy of the form or you can e-mail a scanned version of the form to our Accounts Department. When you fill out your order form please indicate in the "notes" section of the order that you have sent us the 501(c)(3) Non-Profit form via fax or email.
22. Terms, Conditions and Acceptable Use Policy - Top
Get a free domain for life with our Preferred and Business hosting plans. We give you total control of the domain, point it, park it, whatever, it's your choice!
Money Back Guarantee
Test drive any hosting plan and witness our white glove approach to keep you here. You'll get a money back comfort blanket for 30 days to decide if WestHost is your cup of tea.
Hosting SolutionsWeb Hosting
Domain RegistrationRegister a Domain
Protect Your Brand
Information CenterAbout WestHost
Terms & Policies