You’ve worked hard on your website, so watch its success with these helpful tips while learning how you can make your website even better.
The purpose of your website is to attract as much traffic, or eyes, as possible. You have picked the perfect images and content to lure as many visitors to your website as you can. Now that you have finished your website, you will want to know exactly how well your efforts are coming to fruition, and we can help.
Think about the internet as a giant map of the world. The major cities, or traffic hubs, are major players on the web – the Google, Facebook and YouTube. These major hubs have roads connected to your website for people to travel. Your work includes turning these roads into busy highways. How can you be sure that traffic is flowing?
Below you will find 3 helpful tips to be sure that the highway of your website is packed bumper to bumper:
#1. Google Analytics
This tool was created with small websites in mind. Google Analytics is an easy way to monitor the success of your website while also providing hints as to how you can help your website get more traffic tomorrow than it did today.
Google Analytics will inform you of the number of visitors on your site, along with some detailed information about these visitors. You will be able to discover where in the world your visitors are coming from, what links they click and how much time they spend cruising your website. From there you can dive deep into searches and bookmarks for a detailed portrait of those who love your website.
Follow these steps to get started with Google Analytics:
- Go to http://www.google.com/analytics and sign into your prexisting Google account. If you do not have a Google account you can create one.
- Click on the “Access Google Analytics” button that can be found at the top right hand corner of your page.
- Fill out the required information about your website.
- Implement the tracking codes onto your website, either in the HTML code or through the plugins available. If you have problems with this step a simple Google search should provide you with the necessary information. Once installed, you can check that you have correctly used the codes by returning to the page you obtained the codes from. If you see a message stating “Status: Receiving Data” then you are in the clear. Note: it may take up to 24 hours to see this message.
- Set up an additional admin. This is like creating a backup of your Google Analytics in the event that you have problems signing into your original account. If you need additional assistance in this step check out this helpful guide.
From this point you should be able to regularly access your Google Analytics account for updated information on the status of your website.
#2. Social Media
Be sure that the major players in social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Instagram) lead traffic directly to your website. You can do this by placing links to your social media accounts on your website, and by including social buttons on any sharable content you produce. Social media is a great way to monitor the success of your website because of the helpful comments visitors leave. Encourage readers to interact with your content and provide feedback. Soon you will be getting information directly from the traffic on your website.
#3. Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, allows you to take organic traffic directly from search engines like Google or Yahoo. If your SEO is successful then your website will appear at or near the top on search engine result pages.
SEO can be a full time job, but there are helpful tools to make this task easier. WestHost offers a 100% FREE SEO report from our SEO Guru. Simply enter some very basic information – your name, email and website address – and we will provide you with a completely FREE rundown on how your website is performing with search engines.
Unlike Google Analytics, WestHost will not give you a stack of charts and graphs. Instead we will provide simple, easy-to-understand information and step-by-step instructions on how to improve your SEO and get your website traffic New York rush hour busy. Your website will receive an overall score that can help you monitor your success as you take your website to the top.
These three easy tools can help you monitor, interact with and improve the traffic on your website. The best part about them is that each of these tools are completely FREE. In no time at all your website will be busier than a Tokyo airport!