How to Install an SSL on an unmanaged server?
You are probably aware that WestHost offers both managed and unmanaged dedicated servers to customers in the United States and abroad. Managed servers give you the power of a dedicated box but with reduced complexity and operational overhead. Unmanaged servers allow advanced IT admins to precisely control the software, hardware and network resources attached to the box. This may include installing a custom security certificate or SSL. Our Knowledge base outlines the steps involved including additional notes about dedicated IPs necessary for certificate completion.
How can I boost security on an unmanaged server?
This is complex subject but there are a few general recommendations WestHost can make:
- Update your malware / AV protection programs on computers using FTP or SSH.
- Change all your FTP account passwords using a combination of alphanumeric characters.
- Make sure that you allow_url_include, fopen, and register_globals are set to “off” within any customized php.ini files you have within your account.
- Ensure you have included insecure functions within the disable_functions list. This is only relevant if you are running PHP apps within your account instance.
- For a complete list visit our Knowledge base security tips page for unmanaged servers
Need an overview of Dedicated Server control panels?
No problem. After you have logged in via https://cp.westhost.com/ you will be able to review your dedicated server start icon and review your current plan and default settings. You can also review network utilization and bandwidth usage. Review this Knowledge base control panel overview for more information.
This article was brought to you by WestHost, for shared hosting, dedicated server hosting, cloud servers and 24/7 support visit our site here westhost.com